@ Grace we are progressive Christians. We claim this identity not because of what we believe, but because of what we DO.
Ten things progressive christians do:
1. Pray: Consistent practice of spiritual discipline, especially prayer, is a vital component of following Jesus. Progressive Christians believe prayer helps us DO #s 2-10.
2. Have & Enjoy Sex: Progressive Christians enjoy their sexuality within committed and loving relationships, believing fully that God created sex not just for procreation, but for enjoyment.
3. Meet their Neighbor: Jesus commanded his disciples to love their neighbors. In our modern day culture, sadly, many of us do not even know the person or family who live right next door. Progressive Christians meet their neighbors and build community where they are.
4. Forgive: Even though it is difficult or emotionally inconceivable, progressive Christians work toward forgiveness and reconciliation as Jesus taught, always mindful that forgiveness is a process.
5. Struggle for Justice: Progressive Christians are engaged in a constant struggle for justice especially on behalf of those who Jesus names the least. Justice must be sought in every area of society for all people through many means from marching, to voting, to giving voice to the voiceless.
6. Give: Not time, but money. Progressive Christians open up their wallets, swipe their debit cards, and write checks to support the important work of many, from cancer researches to refugee relief organizations, from local libraries to international NGOs.
7. Participate in Community: Progressive Christians nurture their spiritual lives through the active participation in religious community in which their beliefs are challenged and deepened by others.
8. Care for the Environment: Climate change is real. Progressive Christians care for creation by first reducing, then reusing and recycling. And they do a lot more things actively, ever day, to reduce their carbon footprint, including voting, installing solar panels, and educating.
9. Engage with the Other: Progressive Christians are not afraid of difference, but instead give thanks to God for the diverse beauty of the beloved community. They enjoy inter-faith gatherings, learning about radically different life styles and cultures, and always welcome "the other" to be in community with them.
10. Love: Everyone, actively, always. The hardest work there is, but without question the essence of what Jesus called us to do.
Note: This is not an exhaustive list. There are more things progressive Christians do.